For some time now I’ve been wanting to focus my business a little more. There are certain elements of my business that I’m really passionate about, and I realized I haven’t really been communicating them consistently! So here’s what’s important to me, and why I’m doing what I do in my small business.
My mission statement, and how I decide what to spend my time and energy on, is:
Bringing love and comfort through sustainable handmade items, while supporting other Canadian small businesses.
And whatever reaction you’re having to that mission statement, whether you think it’s too corny or silly or simply naive, yup, that’s me. 🙂
But in case you’re not following my train of thought, here’s what I mean:
Bringing love and comfort
– physical comfort: through comfortable clothing
– emotional comfort: items are sewn with care, and are crafted to suit the individual’s personal needs through sizing, style, colours and prints
Sustainable handmade items
– high quality fabric that remains vibrant and looks great even after numerous washes
– sewn by me from patterns and fabrics which have been tested for quality
– reusable (rather than disposable) items to cut down on waste
– grow-with-me children’s clothing that lasts much longer than sized items
Supporting other Canadian small businesses
– fabric sourced from Canadian small businesses
– some patterns designed in Canada by Canadian small businesses
– a grow-with-me hoodie (pattern designed in Canada) that will last a baby/child through multiple sizes (ex. 3T-6), and expresses the personal interests of the parents and/or child through prints and colours
– comfortable underwear that fits a new mom well with an extra tall waistband to create comfortable compression, and in a cut that suits her well, to help her feel like “her” again
– cloth menstrual/incontinence pads or nursing pads that save a person money over time as they are reused, and express the personality of the person using them
– underwear (or other items) that helps an individual who is transgender to better express themself, while remaining comfortable and allowing for personal customization
– wipeable cloth diapers (pattern designed by me) that can be reused between washes, extending their reusability even further
And that’s that! At this point all my fabric is being sourced from Canadian small businesses (AND it’s high quality), and my diapers and grow-with-me clothing are all created using patterns made by Canadian small businesses.
Bottom line, supporting others, whether other small business owners, or my customers, is really important to me. So if I can help you feel extra cared for by meeting a particular need, or if I can include other Canadian small businesses in the process of meeting that need, then it’s been a very good day. 🙂
(And yes, super corny, that’s me!)